Knowledge is Speed!
"The Swim Smart download-ables are a MUST have for each swim coach. Whether you’re an experience veteran, or a bright-eyed new starter—these free tools are a great template for any coach to build off of."
- Abbie Fish, Creator/Head Coach of Swim Like A. Fish
Imagine you just walked on deck for the first time as a head or assistant coach. What do you do now!?
- How do you control these kids and make them believe in their team and training?
- How do you structure and write workouts?
- How do you teach the strokes in a competitive way?
- How do you teach parents about nutrition and running meets?
The answers are all available below!
Coach's Swim Clinic Slides
- Season Planning and Periodization
- Planning a season is a valuable mental exercise for any coach. Here is a guideline and example of putting together a season from start to finish
- Includes the Senior Template
- Workout Templates
- All templates are 2-week cycles of structured workout plans that help lay the ground work for planning your training
- All include detailed explanations of drills and training intensities to focus each set on a defined goal
- Sample workouts included with calculated yards, time and stress scores
- Treat these as a guideline to build your own program with
- Novice (8 and unders)- Focus on training technique and kicking
- Age Group (9-12)- Focus on training for the race
- Senior/Distance (13+)- Focus on training zones
- Workout Progressions
- Over 300 workouts
- Each set has a Level 1, 2 and 3 version
- Structured by training zones
- Free/Fly kick and IM sets too
- Dryland Template
- Swimming focused with teachings about the Four main swimming motions and Four main training intensities
- Stretching explanations included
- A guide to what exercises should be done, when and how many sets/reps of each during different parts of the season
- A list of possible exercises for each swimming motion and training intensity to fit a variety of available equipment
- An entire 16 week sample is included
- Overtraining Monitor
- This uses the well researched and widely used Profile of Mood States questionnaire to quantify "stress"
- This monitor automatically calculates, graphs and tracks a swimmer's mood over the season which has a high correlation to overtraining
- Detailed explanations of how to interpret the numbers, what to do with them and references provided
- Training Tracker
- Write sets and track yards
- Automatically track types of training for the day, week and season
- Learn and change season to season
Meet Lineup Tracker
- Keep track of your athlete's events in high school meets
- Prevent over entering. Summarize events entered
- The Biology of Swimming PDF
- Our entire 324 page picture book in PDF
- Perfect for sharing with the team chapter by chapter or converting to Kindle format
- It's the only non-free download here, but many have asked us to bring it back!
- Click here for more details and the hard copy version
- Improve your coaching ability with these tips/guidelines
- Build a team everyone wants to be on
- Managing the Team
- Teaching/training the strokes
- Writing workouts
The Progression of Everything
A series of videos and PowerPoint slides that explains how to build up every complicated swimming stroke and motion from the ground up for competitive swimmers. Every stroke can be broken down into a few key components. This series takes you through a series of drills that focus on every component and lays a foundation for building and training a perfect stroke.
Why make this series?
- A starting point for new coaches
- For “lost” parents
- Complex motions broken into pieces
- Train every piece every day!
Who is the target?
- 7-14 year old competitive swimmers
- New competitive swimmers in general (high school)
- (Not for swim lessons, more advance than that)
How this will work:
- Breakdown every stroke into a few important pieces
- One drill = One focus
- Build up to the full stroke
- Use training sets to continually build the strokes throughout a season